The company was founded in Helsinki the 8th of December 1943. Mirka’s first factory was located in rented premises in Helsinki during the Second World War. In 1962, the owners decided to move the company to Western Finland and the same year, the company also started to export products abroad.
A new factory was built in the beginning of 1970’s in Jeppo, where the company’s Headquarters are located today. The company’s first subsidiary, Mirka Abrasives Ltd was established in the UK in 1979, followed by Mirka Schleifmittel GmbH in Germany in 1980 and Mirka Abrasives, Inc. in the United States in 1985.
Through its innovative research and development program, Mirka has become a specialist in flexible abrasives, as well as revolutionary, patented abrasives which allow customers to enjoy a truly dust-‐ free surface finishing process. The company has expanded from a leading abrasive maker into a developer and manufacturer of complete sanding systems.
The company is continuously looking for opportunities to reduce its environmental footprint. Mirka is partnering with the environmental management services provider Ekokem – to build and operate a bioenergy plant that will significantly reduce their oil use and decrease waste that goes to landfill. Mirka’s sustainability and corporate responsibility are built on four Clean Commitments; Clean Proactivity, Clean Partner, Clean Production and Clean Performance.
Mirka is a globally expanding company and of one the world’s largest abrasive manufacturers. Today, the company has production facilities on four different locations in Finland and one manufacturing plant for wide belts, in the same facilities as the company’s European warehouse, located in Belgium.Mirka’s 15 subsidiaries are located in Europe, North and South America and Asia. More than 90% of the company’s products are exported and sold in more than 80 countries.
Source: Mirka Abrasives Inc.
Have something to say? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.