DARLINGTON, S.C. -- Firefighters from the City of Darlington, Darlington County, Palmetto Rural, and City of Hartsville were fighting a fire at Darlington Veneer in Darlington, according to a report on WPDE-TV.
A night watchman from the plant spotted the smoke and authorities were notified.
According the general manager of the plant, Rich Smothers, he believed the fire was likely caused by a spark from the boiler room that reached some sawdust in another room, WPDE-TV reported.
No one was reported injured when the plant caught on fire. Firefighters worked to contain the fire so that employees from the company could remove the sawdust inside.
Darlington Veneer Co. is a company with a 100-year-history and makes hardwood plywood and particleboard and MDF core panels.
Have something to say? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.