The cabinet market went through more changes than any other segment in the FDMC 300 last year.
Wood-Mode closed suddenly in May, but was able to reopen later in the year with fewer employees. Elkay Wood Products cabinetry division and Master WoodCraft Cabinetry are now part of ACProducts, Inc. And Masco, once the largest cabinet manufacturer, was also bought by ACPI.
The sudden closure of Wood-Mode in Pennsylvania, one of the nation’s oldest and most well-known cabinet manufacturers, affected more than 900 employees. Wood-Mode was purchased by Professional Building Systems and reopened, with 235 employees on its payroll later in the year.
Overall, 2019 sales for the FDMC 300 group of companies grew 4.5 percent, to reach $57.171 billion. This group of cabinet, millwork, furniture and store fixture manufacturers recorded an eighth consecutive year of sales expansion.
The FDMC 300 is a group of the 300 largest cabinet, furniture, millwork, store fixture, office/contract and component producers in North America. This annual summary of wood manufacturing firms' sales performance is published annually by FDMC magazine.
A detailed list of the top 25 companies and a summary of all 300 companies can be found at https://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/fdmc-300
KCMA reports cabinet sales up slightly for 2019
According to the Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturers Association’s monthly Trend of Business Survey, 2019 cabinet sales were up 0.6 percent when compared to 2018. Custom sales were down 1.2 percent, semi-custom sales were down 4.1 percent, and stock sales were up 4.5 percent.
Participating cabinet manufacturers reported a decrease in cabinet sales of 1.9 percent for December 2019 compared to the same month in 2018. Custom sales saw a decrease of 9.7 percent and semi-custom decreased 4 percent. Stock cabinet sales were up 1 percent.
KCMA survey participants include stock, semi-custom, and custom companies whose combined sales represent approximately 70 percent of the U.S. kitchen cabinet and bath vanity market.
Largest cabinet manufacturers
These companies are the largest cabinet manufacturers in North America, according to reported sales and our estimates where sales are not available. Note that Wood-Mode has always been in the top 10 in the past.
1. MasterBrand Cabinets. Fortune Brands Home and Security’s kitchen and bath cabinetry segment’s sales figure, $2.397 billion, was based on 2019 third quarter sales. Divisions include Aristokraft, Decora, Diamond, Dynasty, HomeCrest, Kemper, KitchenCraft, Norcraft, Omega, Schrock, and WoodCrafters The company makes stock, semi-custom and custom fully assembled kitchen and bath cabinets; and frameless RTA.
2. American Woodmark Corp. Sales figure of $1.645 billion is based on 2019 fiscal year. We can’t make direct comparison with previous year due to RSI acquisition. Divisions include Timberlake, Shenandoah Cabinetry and Potomac. Company makes stock and semi-custom kitchen and bath cabinets.
3. Masco Corp. Company makes stock and semi-custom assembled and ready-to-assemble kitchen and bath cabinets; and other room cabinets. Annual sales of $960 million is an estimate of cabinet segment sales for the year. In November, Masco entered into an agreement to sell its cabinetry division, which includes the KraftMaid, Merillat, QualityCabinets, and Cardell Cabinetry brands, to ACProducts.
4. ACProducts, Inc. Reported sales estimate of $800 million. Divisions include ACPI, AWP (former Elkay Cabinetry), Cabinets2000, Master Woodcraft and Smart Cabinetry. Company makes stock and semi-custom kitchen and bath cabinets. Purchase of Masco cabinet operations expected to close in early 2020. Earlier, Elkay Wood Products cabinetry division and Master WoodCraft Cabinetry were purchased by ACProducts, Inc.
5. W W Wood Products Inc. Annual sales were reported by the company to be $152 million, a gain over the previous year. The company’s manufacturing plants in Dudley, Missouri, make kitchen/bath cabinets, millwork/mouldings, custom kitchen/bath cabinets, mouldings, and cabinet doors.
6. Foremost Groups Inc. This company is primarily an importer but they do manufacture in the United States. Manufacturing plants include Woodland, California; East Hanover, New Jersey; Hobart, Indiana; Rizhao, Shenzen, and Shandong, China.
7. Wellborn Cabinet Inc. Annual sales were estimated to be $150 million. Manufacturing plants are in Ashland and Lineville, Alabama; and Salt Lake City, Utah. Products are stock, semi-custom and custom kitchen and bath cabinets; closet cabinets and storage systems.
8. Leedo Mfg. Texas company has manufacturing plants in East Bernard and El Campo. Annual sales estimated to be $115 million. Products include stock/custom kitchen cabinets, bath vanities, laminate, granite, and quartz countertops.
9. Bertch Cabinet Mfg. Inc. Iowa company makes stock/custom kitchen and bath cabinets. Manufacturing plants in Oelwein, Jesup and Waterloo, Iowa.
10. Republic Elite (LDC Stone Inc.) Annual sales estimated to be $100 million. Products are kitchen and bath cabinets, mouldings, laminate and solid surface countertops, and sinks. New headquarters in Addison, Texas. Manufacturing plants are in Marshall, Texas.
Have something to say? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.