Home improvement expert and the Ellen DeGeneres Show’s Design Challenge Winner Karl Champley lists five easy steps to organizing the garage.
1. Go in with a game plan. Instead of feeling overwhelmed by the project, you can start small and develop a game plan in advance to help make the most of your time. You can begin organizing on a small scale with grab and go kits such as the GearTrack Single Pack (pictured). This will allow you to customize and add as your bigger game plan unfolds. Having your shelves, cabinets, and other organizational items prepared beforehand is essential in making the most of your time.
2. Sort items as “keep it” versus “kick it.” Separate items in two piles, identifying the things you absolutely have to keep for use on a seasonal basis versus the items you store for personal reason and don’t often use. This keep it versus kick it mentality will cut organizational time in half by taking a hard look at the real use of items you’re storing.
3. Take advantage of wall space. Walls are wasted space so take advantage of them by using walls for storage. Items such as the Gladiator GarageWorks’ GearTrack Pack with a variety of hooks, bins and baskets will help keep everything from rakes, bicycles and basketballs in their proper place. You can watch Karl’s short video on how to install gear wall panels here.
4. Keep similar items together. This should go without saying, but keeping similar items together will help avoid confusion in the future. Using storage kits like small item bins for screws and nails or a Project Caddy for larger tools and items will help save time and space in the long run.
Pictured is Gladiator's Advanced Bike Storage 3.0 hook and the 24-inch mesh basket.
5. Get creative and have fun. You can use “Spring Keeping” season as an opportunity to have fun and really add some brightness to the garage. Add color and personality with storage units in bright colors, such as the GearBox or GearDrawer system which come in Graphite and Red. Meanwhile, adding tools like bike storage hooks or mesh baskets allow everything from bicycles to soccer balls to fit perfectly in their right place (pictured above).
Champley worked with Gladiator GarageWorks for his garage organization tips. For more information, visit GladiatorGarageWorks.com.
Have something to say? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.