Mt. Prospect, Ill. - It's hard to imagine a single product redefining an entire industry, but Robert Bosch Tool Corporation has done just that with the introduction of the Bosch Power Ready Wireless Charging System - the world's first for cordless power tools. Wireless charging technology meets absolute user convenience in a system that powers tools virtually anywhere: in a moving vehicle and between jobs or tasks - with the battery on the tool or off.
"This is a game-changer," said Hagen Dost, Bosch product manager. "Our new 18V wireless charging system eliminates the need for a bin of batteries with a partial charge. Now pros can easily charge their hand-held power tools in between tasks or jobs and not worry about dead batteries. This means increased productivity and increased profits."
HOW IT WORKS
This power tool advancement is based on the concept of contactless energy transfer, also known as inductive charging. When the charger is plugged in and the compatible battery is placed on it, the charger begins wirelessly transmitting an alternating magnetic field. The battery, featuring an internal copper coil, acts as a receiver. As the alternating magnetic field penetrates the coil, voltage is induced and a charging current flows to the cells until full. Similar to conventional charging, the battery and charger are in constant communication during the charge process to ensure proper charge and a long battery life.
"Wireless charging opens a whole new world of convenience," said Dost. "And the new wireless batteries are compatible with today's complete Bosch 18V power tool offering, so users can start benefitting immediately."
Each charger also features Foreign Object Detection (FOD), which detects when any other object besides the compatible battery is on the charging pad. If sensed, the charger will not turn on until the object is removed. This prevents conductive materials, such as bolts, washers, nails or even metal shavings that might inadvertently fall on the pad from heating up. The process is similar to heating coils on an electric stove.
SOLVING FUNDAMENTAL CORDLESS PROBLEMS ON THE JOB
For professionals on the go, in the shop or on site, the Bosch Wireless Charging System is changing the way they manage power. Currently, mobile service/repair technicians depend on finding a plug at their next stop or cumbersome and chaotic in-vehicle solutions for charging batteries. Jobsite trades need to hunt around for outlets on the various floors they work on. Mechanics and other shop professionals lose track of where they left their tool or spare batteries and cluttered charging stations take up space with batteries all over. Every time an assembly line or manufacturing professional has to leave their station for a spare battery, that is lost productivity. And don't forget the buckets of backup batteries and charging stations each invests in to be sure they don't run out of power. Each case is not only a waste of time and money, but represents a major source of frustration every time a battery runs dead.
With Power Ready Wireless Charging, the entire process is nearly effortless. For example, when working in between tasks, simply set the entire drill/driver, battery and all, right on the charger pad to top off the charge and never worry about a dead battery. Need to drive to your next service call? Wall- or shelf-mount the charger within either the WC18H mobile tool holster or WC18F charger frame to not only store your tool and battery, but charge it at the same time. It takes up less space and makes the entire process more efficient. And for those on jobsites, job box charge stations, cart mounting or even traditional applications can serve to ensure tools and batteries are always power ready where you store them. The applications are nearly limitless as professionals now have the opportunity to be confident in their cordless power tool batteries.
The components of the Bosch Power Ready Wireless Charging System include:
• WCBAT612 - The WCBAT612 is a SlimPack 18V 2.0 Ah battery that combines the advantages of wireless charging with renowned Bosch battery technology. This battery has a charge-level indicator and is equipped with industry-leading Bosch CoolPack technology, which improves heat dissipation and extends battery life twice as long over packs without it. High-efficiency cells help users maximize productivity on the job by delivering 65 percent more runtime versus 1.5 Ah packs. As part of the brand's Flexible Power System, the battery is compatible with all Bosch 18V power tools and chargers for maximum flexibility. Users can expect the addition of the WCBAT620 4.0 Ah 18V Fat Pack in spring 2015.
• WC18C - The WC18C Wireless Charger will charge the WCBAT612 80 percent in approximately 30 minutes and 100 percent in 50 minutes (from empty). It features charge status indicator lights for easy recognition.
• WC18F - Available with all Bosch Power Ready Wireless Charging System kits, the WC18F frame is designed to mount the charger to workbenches, shelves, side walls or other work surfaces, and serves as a flexible and secure holder for the battery or tool and battery (on horizontal surface).
• WC18H - The Bosch WC18H Mobile Holster offers users the industry's first customized charging and storage system. Professionals can mount the durable holster to any shelf or side wall for quick and convenient tool charging and storage when they're on the go or during downtime - no need to remove the battery from the tool. Users can customize how they mount the holster to best fit their work style - vertically or horizontally, on a stationary workbench or in a truck or van - for easy grab-and-go access. Since the tool is always charging when stored, pros are power ready for the entire work day. An enclosed top with three custom inserts secures tool and battery to charger (Bosch Compact Tough and Brute-Tough DD/HDD and Impact Drivers) during bumpy vehicle travel.
Bosch Power Ready Wireless Charging System components and cordless tool kit options will be available at authorized dealers in North America in October 2014. Additional wireless charging products will roll out in spring 2015. To learn more or to locate a dealer, visit www.boschtools.com or call 877-BOSCH-99.
• Follow Bosch Power Tools @ www.youtube.com/BoschToolsNA
• Like Bosch Power Tools @ www.Facebook.com/BoschToolsNA
• Follow Bosch Power tools on Twitter @ www.twitter.com/BoschToolsNA
The Bosch Group is a leading global supplier of technology and services, active in the fields of automotive technology, energy and building technology, industrial technology, and con¬sumer goods. According to preliminary figures, more than 306,000 associates generated sales of 52.3 billion euros ($67.2 billion) in 2012. The Bosch Group comprises Robert Bosch GmbH and its more than 350 subsidiaries and regional companies in some 60 countries. If its sales and service partners are included, then Bosch is represented in roughly 150 countries. This worldwide development, manufacturing, and sales network is the foundation for further growth. Bosch spent some 4.5 billion euros ($5.8 billion) for research and development in 2012, and applied for over 4,700 patents worldwide.
The Bosch Group's products and services are designed to fascinate, and to improve the quality of life by providing solutions which are both innovative and beneficial. In this way, the company offers technology worldwide that is "Invented for life." Additional information is available online at www.bosch.com and www.bosch-press.com.
In the U.S., Canada and Mexico, the Bosch Group manufactures and markets automotive original equipment and aftermarket products, industrial drives and control technology, power tools, security and communication systems, packaging technology, thermotechnology, household appliances, solar energy, healthcare telemedicine and software solutions. Having established a regional presence in 1906, Bosch employs over 22,500 associates in more than 100 locations, with sales of $9.8 billion in fiscal year 2011. For more information, please visit www.boschusa.com, www.bosch.com.mx and www.bosch.ca.
About Robert Bosch Tool Corporation:
Robert Bosch Tool Corporation in North America, was formed in January 2003 when Robert Bosch GmbH combined its North American power tool, accessory and lawn and garden divisions into one organization. As a manufacturing pioneer with more than a century's worth of experience, the Bosch name has become synonymous with engineering excellence. With 18,000 employees worldwide and 3,500 in North America, the Robert Bosch Tool Corporation is a world leader in the design, manufacture and sale of power tools, rotary and oscillating tools, accessories, laser and optical leveling and range finding tools. For more information, call toll free 877-BOSCH-99 (877-267-2499) or visit www.boschtools.com, www.dremel.com, www.skiltools.com, www.rotozip.com, www.cstberger.com, www.vermontamerican.com.
Have something to say? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.