LIBBY, MT – Asbestos has been found in some of the large fragments of ash created by a Feb. 25 fire that destroyed a former plywood mill.
According to the Missoulian, The fragments were spewed into the air and fell around the town of Libby. Some of the chunks, as large as 8 inches in diameter, were found a mile away from the scene of the blaze.
Lincoln County officials advised residents not to handle the materials. They also determined that the ash fragments that tested positive for asbestos were likely insulation from the plant and not the infamous “Libby asbestos” that was mined decades ago and contaminated soil that resulted in a Superfund designation for Libby.
Have something to say? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.