The market for cabinets in North America continues to expand, and cabinet manufacturers in the FDMC 300 group of companies have again posted gains in sales.
Some of the largest gains in percentage terms came from medium-sized companies in the FDMC 300 list, but the largest companies also recorded stronger sales in 2017.
Overall, sales for the FDMC 300 group of companies grew 5.4 percent in 2017 over the previous year to $52.209 billion.
This group of the 300 largest North American cabinet, millwork, furniture and fixture manufacturers recorded a sixth consecutive year of sales expansion in 2017.
A year earlier, sales for the FDMC 300 group of companies grew 5 percent in 2016 to $48.786 billion. (We adjusted the 2017 figure to $51.409 billion to make the comparison with the previous year, since there were some large additions and subtractions in the list of companies.)
KCMA: Cabinet sales gain 3 percent
According to the Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturers Association’s monthly Trend of Business Survey, participating cabinet manufacturers reported sales totaling $6.9 billion for 2017. That is a 2.9 percent increase compared to 2016. Stock sales increased 3 percent; semi-custom sales rose 3.7 percent, and custom sales decreased 0.3 percent.
KCMA also reported that December 2017 sales were up 3.9 percent compared to December 2016. For that month, stock sales increased 3 percent, semi-custom sales were up 6.1 percent, and custom sales increased 0.4 percent compared to December 2016.
Survey participants include stock, semi-custom, and custom companies whose combined sales represent approximately 70 percent of the U.S. kitchen cabinet and bath vanity market.
Largest cabinet manufacturers
Here’s a summary of the largest cabinet manufacturers in North America.
1. MasterBrand Cabinets. Our cabinet segment sales estimate ($2.450 billion) was based on third quarter 2017 reported sales. Final sales for 2017 were $2.467 million, an increase of 3 percent over 2016.
The company is part of Fortune Home & Security, and makes stock, semi-custom and custom fully assembled kitchen and bath cabinets; along with frameless RTA.
There are 16 total manufacturing locations, including six former Norcraft locations: Newton, Kansas; Cottonwood, Minnesota; Liberty, North Carolina; Sioux Falls, South Dakota; Lynchburg, Virginia; and Winnipeg, Manitoba.
2. American Woodmark. The Winchester, Virginia-based company makes stock and semi-custom kitchen and bath cabinets. The figure of $1.03 billion is based on the company’s fiscal year. Sales grew 9 percent.
American Woodmark Corp. earlier announced that it entered into a definitive agreement and plan of merger with RSI Home Products, Inc., another large manufacturer of kitchen and bath cabinetry and home storage products. The acquisition would boost American Woodmark from the third biggest cabinet manufacturer in the United States to the second biggest.
3. Masco Corp. Sales estimate of $950 million was based on third quarter cabinet segment sales and company info. Final 2017 fiscal year sales were reported in February 2018 to be $934 million, down 4 percent from 2016.
The company makes stock and semi-custom assembled and ready-to-assemble kitchen and bath cabinets, and other room cabinets.
Masco has eight manufacturing plants in Middlefield and Orwell, Ohio; Los Lunas, New Mexico; Culpeper and Mt. Jackson, Virginia; Wilson, Pennsylvania; Mt. Sterling, Kentucky; and Duncanville, Texas.
Excluding the impact of the divestiture of Masco’s U.K.-based Moores Furniture Group in the fourth quarter, net sales decreased 1 percent. Cabinetry Products also expanded its KraftMaid brand in the repair and remodel market, and late in the fourth quarter, they began setting a new retail program with their Cardell cabinetry brand.
4. RSI. RSI was acquired by American Woodmark in December. The agreement was to be completed in 2018. RSI makes stock and semi-custom kitchen and bath cabinets, stock and semi-custom bath vanities, and cultured marble countertops. RSI had estimated annual sales of $560 million for 2017 and 3,500 employees.
RSI had grown to become one of the largest value-based cabinet makers in North America providing kitchen, bathroom, home and garage organization cabinetry, counter tops and accessories to home centers, builders, dealers and remodeling contractors.
5. Elkay Manufacturing. Cabinet brands include Mastercraft, Medallion, Schuler, Yorktowne, American and Design-Craft. The company makes semi-custom kitchen and bath cabinets in six locations: Aurora, Colorado; Culver, Indiana; New Ulm and Waconia, Minnesota; Independence, Oregon; and Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania.
Elkay Manufacturing said it will cease cabinet manufacturing at the company's Ringgold, Virginia, plant. The news followed a decision by the company to discontinue production of the InnerMost Cabinet line, sold exclusively at Home Depot.
6. ACProducts. Communication after the 2017 FDMC 300 was compiled indicated that the company would have about $321 million in sales, taking the acquisition of Smart Cabinetry into account. The company operates plants in Thompsontown and Mount Union, Pennsylvania, and employs 1,000.
7. Foremost Groups. Company is a manufacturer and an importer, and makes bathroom vanities and shelving for Wal-Mart. The $150 million in sales is our estimate.
8. Wellborn Cabinet Inc. Sales were estimated to be $150 million, in four locations in Ashland and Lineville, Alabama; Salt Lake City, Utah; and New Holland, Pennsylvania. The company makes stock, semi-custom and custom kitchen and bath cabinets; closet cabinets and storage systems and employs 1,150.
9. Wood-Mode Inc. Wood-Mode makes custom and semi-custom kitchen and bath cabinets, and custom cabinetry for other rooms at a single location in Kreamer, Pennsylvania. The company employs 1,200. Sales of $150 million is our estimate.
10. W W Wood. Sales figure of $125 million in 2017 was sharply higher. The Dudley, Missouri, company makes kitchen and bath cabinets, millwork and mouldings, custom cabinets, cabinet doors, and employs 1,000.
11. Leedo Mfg. The company makes stock and custom kitchen cabinets, bath vanities, laminate, granite, and quartz countertops in East Bernard and El Campo, Texas.
12. Master WoodCraft Cabinetry LLC. This is a relatively new company that makes cabinets for multifamily homes, countertops, and components in Marshall and Jefferson, Texas. Sales were reported to be $100 million.
13. Republic Elite. The Marshall, Texas, cabinet manufacturer, reportedly merged with LDC Stone Inc., a supplier of countertops and imported cabinets. Republic’s sales were reported to be $100 million. The company makes kitchen and bath cabinets, mouldings, laminate and solid surface countertops and sinks.
14. Marsh Furniture. Marsh makes stock kitchen and bath cabinets in High Point, North Carolina. Company makes both European frameless and face frame cabinets.
15. Showplace Wood Products. Showplace makes custom and semi-custom kitchen cabinets and bath vanities, Murphy wall beds, and provides cabinet refacing in Harrisburg and Beresford, South Dakota.
Additional information on these companies and the full list of 300 companies is also online at http://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/fdmc-300.
Have something to say? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.