COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- The opening of the National Manufacturing Training Center is planned for August 2017, as announced at IWF in Atlanta. An open house event will take place November 2 at the site of the planned training center.
Expanding the Woods Education Model, which was developed in Salem, Oregon, and duplicated in Peyton, Colorado, was key in placing the National Manufacturing Training Center in nearby Colorado Springs.
Here is a timeline of past events and future plans for 2016 -2018:
Year 1: 2015-2016
· August 2015 -- Peyton Woods Manufacturing opens with 40 students.
· October 2015 -- Open House for industry partners and the community. More than 300 people attended from around the world.
· Peyton becomes a CTE (Career Technical Education) magnet school for neighboring districts.
Year 2: 2016-2017
· August 2016 -- Peyton Woods program doubles in size bringing students from 10 different schools in six districts. Students are bused up to 50 miles away with wifi on the buses for online education.
· Peyton CTE program expands, including automotive, robotics, technology, an online academy and should include culinary arts this winter
· Peyton partners with Widefield School District, purchasing a 46,646 sq. ft. building for the National Training Center in Colorado Springs
· November 2016 open house to be held at the new National Manufacturing Training Center for woods manufacturing partners, prospective contractors, employers, and community leaders
· National and regional campaign underway for financial, construction and other sources of support
· February 2017 -- Winter Open House for prospective students from qualified high schools, community colleges, colleges, military and former military (Troops to Education), and CTE teacher training
Year 3: 2017-2018
· August 2017 opening of the National Manufacturing Training Center located near the Colorado Springs Airport
For more information, contact Dean Mattson, Director of Woods Manufacturing, Peyton School District, Peyton, Colorado, Dean@MattsonsInteriors.com, or Tim Kistler, Superintendent, Peyton School District, Peyton, Colorado, Office: (719) 749-2330,
Have something to say? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.