PROVIDENCE, R.I. — A fire at a woodworking business in Providence, Rhode Island could have been much worse if the business's quick-thinking employees hadn't been as quick to react. 
After a spark got into the dust collection system at Modern Industries, sawdust was sucked up and began to burn. The woodshop's employees took notice and quickly disconnected the system's sawdust collection bags, cutting off more sawdust from fueling the sparks. Because of that, fire chief Craig Grantham said the fire was restricted to between 50 and 60 feet of ducts in the collection system.
Only one firefighter was hurt - suffering a minor shoulder injury. The three-story factory building didn't suffer any structural damage.
Firefighters took the collection system apart section by section, extinguishing the fire in parts.
The building, built in 1895, contained lots of wood structures, so it was paramount that the fire was contained, said fire officials.
Modern Design + Construction is a custom cabinet shop established in 1932. It serves both the residential and commercial markets and employs around 25.

Have something to say? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.