Dillard, Ore. - Roseburg announced today that all of its composite panel plants have been certified to be in compliance with the Composite Panels Association’s, Eco-Certified Composite (ECC) certification program.
ECC Certification is granted on an individual manufacturing plant basis, and requires an on-site qualification audit and subsequent annual audits. Composite panel products must first comply with the stringent California Air Resources Board (CARB) formaldehyde emissions regulation. In addition, the panel manufacturing facility must meet at least 3 of the following requirements:
1. Carbon Footprint – The plant must demonstrate that the panel’s carbon store offsets its carbon footprint cradle-to-gate as determined in kg-CO2 equivalents of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. Each plant must use the “CPA Carbon Calculator” to determine if panels perform as a carbon sink resulting in overall net carbon storage.
2. Local and Renewable Resource – At least 85% of wood fiber sourced within 250 miles of the panel plant.
3. Recycled/Recovered – At least 75% recycled or recovered wood fiber; or at least 50% recycled/recovered wood fiber PLUS a minimum of 5% post-consumer wood fiber.
4. Sustainability – At least 97% wood fiber furnish is converted to panels or re-utilized as a valued product. Non-valued products include wood residuals shipped to a landfill, material hauled away for a tipping fee as waste material, and boiler ash waste.
5. Wood Sourcing – Conformity with FSC Controlled Wood Standard (2008), FSC Chain of Custody Standard (2008) or SFI Fiber Sourcing Requirements (2011).
“We are very proud of the fact that all of our plants, Taylorville, MS, Missoula, MT, Dillard, OR, and Simsboro, LA, have exceeded the minimum certification standards by meeting all five of the requirements listed in the ECC certification program. In addition, panels from all four plants are certified to contain 100% recycled and/or recovered wood fiber. This affirms our continued commitment to producing green wood products”, states Vice President Sales and Marketing for Roseburg Steve Killgore.
Roseburg Forest Products is North America’s largest producer of CARB Phase II, No added Urea Formaldehyde (NAUF) and third party, Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certificated wood products.
All CPA “Certificate of Compliance” certificates are available for viewing and download by going to roseburg.com. For more information on the Eco-Certified Composite program login to pbmdf.org.
Have something to say? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.