Unfortunately, the third quarter 2010 showed a slowdown of recovery, after two quarters characterized by rather sustained growth. This trend proves that the market is stabilizing to levels that are still far from pre-crisis volumes. Abroad, interesting results were recorded on the Asian and South American markets, also in the long term. In Italy, the decision not to extend the validity period of the Tremonti-ter law contributed to brake the recovery we had recorded in the first half.
The periodical survey, based on a statistic sample that represents the Italian industry of woodworking machinery and tools, is showing a 32.1 percent increase on the same period of last year. Foreign orders increased by 25.9 percent, while expansion on the domestic market amounted to 39.1 percent; these figures are significant, however largely below the growth rates achieved in the first six months.
In the period under scrutiny, prices recorded 0.6 percent increase, while the period of ensured production was 1.8 months at the end of Q3 2010.
Coming to the quality survey, for the July-September 2010 period, 30 percent of the interviewed companies indicated a positive production trend, 39 percent stable and 31 percent decreasing production volumes.
Employment is considered stationary by 78 percent of the sample and falling by the remaining 22 percent. Available stocks are stationary according to 52 percent, decreasing according to 31 percent and growing according to the remaining 17 percent.
The forecast survey outlines possible short-term industry trends: both in foreign markets and in Italy, the predominant outlook is a stabilization of order levels in the final months of the year. Foreign orders will grow according to 26 percent of the sample, while they are expected to stay at the same level according to 65 percent. The remaining 9 percent predict a drop of orders from abroad (balance plus 17). The Italian market is expected to have a decreasing trend according to 17 percent of the interviewees, it will remain stable for 61 percent and it will expand for the remaining 22 percent (balance plus 5).
Have something to say? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.