AkzoNobel ColourFutures today unveiled Teal as the Colour of the Year for 2014.
The Colour of the Year was chosen by a panel of international colour experts assembled by AkzoNobel’s Global Aesthetic Center. These experts had arrived at their decision after distilling and discussing trend and colour concepts that made waves over the past year.
The theme for 2014 is “Unlocking Potential”, where we encourage the world to harness and explore the potential found in everyday spaces – in our homes, offices, schools and even factories.
Teal was chosen as the Colour of the Year 2014 as it is the amalgamation of blue and green. Sitting somewhere between these two colours, it represents balance as well as sophistication, tranquility and versatility.
In addition to the colour of the year, ColourFutures also identifies five broad colour design trends for interior and exterior decoration, and presents palettes of complementary colours that can be used to create these trends in the places where we live, work and play. These five trends are
• Silent Revolution – This trend is very subtle, using slight shifts in hue and tone to create delicate combinations of tinted white and neutral mid tones. This palette gives a restful and silent effect that showcases the trend’s use of texture and natural materials.
• Urban Folk – The Urban Folk palette is alive with friendly and robust shades that feel familiar, and yet at the same time look new. The colours of this palette are inspired by the homely shade of a cross-stich pattern, the bright ornamentation of Russian dolls, the light and cheery decoration of Scandinavia as well as the sumptuous fabrics of India, South America and China.
• Margin of Proof – This palette was inspired by how we map our fast-paced lives. This is a mature and measured neutral palette accented with colours such as bright teal, scarlet and ochre, which complement natural materials like dark wood, marble, cork and concrete.
• Secret Garden - This look is romantic, poetic and curious, with misty shades adding a subtle veil of surprise to create a feminine, yet enigmatic effect. It is filled with soft, smoky tones of green and lilac.
• Do It Now – This palette represents “Get Up And Go For It!” This is a high-octane, energetic medley of colours where anything goes. This is a palette that creates a riot of colours, where there is something for everyone.
Commenting on the unveiling, Head of the Global Aesthetic Center, said, “Colours play a very important role in everybody’s lives. Colours are everywhere and they influence the way we feel and behave. As the global colour authority, AkzoNobel introduced ColourFuturesTM to understand and anticipate what the trends in the future are and to map them to a colour for people around the world to incorporate into their lives in the next year.”
AkzoNobel launched ColourFuturesTM in the hope of inspiring the world to add a spectrum of colours and shades into their lives, and 2013 marks a decade of its existence.
Since its introduction, ColourFuturesTM has earned global recognition and is now the trusted source of colour inspiration for countless professionals in industries such as interior, industrial, product, fashion and architectural designs.
As we look back on the decade and reflect on how colours have shaped our lives, it is important for us to look ahead and develop even more interesting and influential colour palettes for the world in the next 10 years. It is our hope that ColourFuturesTM can continue to serve as inspiration for people as they live their lives at work, home and play.
AkzoNobel is a leading global paints and coatings company and a major producer of specialty chemicals. We supply industries and consumers worldwide with innovative products and are passionate about developing sustainable answers for our customers. Our portfolio includes well-known brands such as Dulux, Sikkens, International and Eka. Headquartered in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, we are consistently ranked as one of the leaders in the area of sustainability. With operations in more than 80 countries, our 50,000 people around the world are committed to delivering leading products and technologies to meet the growing demands of our fast-changing world.
As the largest colour manufacturer worldwide, it is essential we keep our fingers on the pulse of emerging social and economic trends, as well as the world of design, as these often signal the first signs of future colour movements.
To create wonderful colours, you need vision. Our knowledge of colour formulas and design principles is collected, researched and interpreted by AkzoNobel's Aesthetic Center to form ColourFuturesTM each year. Our members meet with an international group of creative experts from the fields of design, architecture and fashion, to determine the key colour trends for the forthcoming year. These insights are then translated into colour palettes and images, and captured in this annual edition of ColourFuturesTM, to inspire our customers.
Have something to say? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.