TOLLAND, CT – CNC Software, Inc., producer of Mastercam CAD/CAM software, announces the 2012 Mastercam Innovator of the Future (IOF) national competition. This competition entices students with a real-world manufacturing challenge, celebrity judge, and a chance to win a $1,000 scholarship. The competition provides instructors with a powerful motivational tool to get students excited about learning CAD/CAM and the manufacturing process.
For the 2012 competition, students are challenged to design and machine a guitar bridge. Winners will be selected based on several criteria including accuracy, creativity, and cleanliness of the part among other criteria.
The Celebrity Judge
The 2012 IOF competition will be judged by a team of experts from world-renowned Taylor Guitars. Co-founders Bob Taylor and Kurt Lustig know about humble beginnings and the value of innovation and determination. Founded in 1974, Taylor Guitars went through a number of lean years before taking off. Since then, they have become the only American luthiers in the last 100 years to take an acoustic guitar company from a two-man shop to a production-level manufacturer without relinquishing ownership or creative control.
Everyone who enters the competition receives an exclusive Mastercam IOF shirt. The student who creates the winning entry will be awarded a $1,000 scholarship to the school of their choice. In addition, the winner and their Mastercam instructor will receive a trip to El Cajon, CA, to tour the Taylor Guitars facility. Mastercam IOF recognition plaques will go to both the winner and their school. The winner’s instructor will also receive a limited edition Mastercam IOF polo shirt.
All entries to the Mastercam 2012 IOF competition are subject to the following requirements:
• The part must be programmed with a licensed copy of Mastercam software.
• The part must have a professional look and remain consistent with the theme industry standards.
• The part must adhere to the specifications.
• Tell us the story behind your part entry; the inspiration for its design, materials used, etc.
• Include photos of you holding the part, your instructor, the school lab, and the CNC machine. Electronic files are preferred.
• The entry must consist of one finished, unpainted part.
• All entries become the property of CNC Software, Inc. Parts cannot be returned.
• All designs become the property of CNC Software, Inc.
• All entries and completed entry forms must be received by May 31, 2012.
• While we welcome past winners to submit entries, past winners are not eligible to win the grand prize.
For more information on the 2012 Mastercam Innovator of the Future competition including the entry form and part specifications, please visit MastercamIOF.com.
Developed by CNC Software, Inc., Mastercam is Windows-based CAD/CAM software for 2- through 5-axis routing, milling and turning, 2- and 4-axis wire EDM, 2D and 3D design, surface and solid modeling, artistic relief cutting, and Swiss machining. CNC Software is a privately owned corporation founded in 1984. The U.S.-based company provides Mastercam CAD/CAM solutions to more than 150,000 installations in 75 countries in industries including mold-making, prototyping, automotive, medical, aerospace, and consumer products. Mastercam runs under Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP, and is compatible with all other CAD/CAM systems. For more information about CNC Software, Inc. and its Mastercam family of products, contact CNC Software, Inc., M - F, 8 AM - 6 PM EST at (800) 228-2877 or (860) 875-5006,—671 Old Post Road, Tolland, CT 06084. Or visit Mastercam.com.
Source: CNC Software, Inc.
Have something to say? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.