Two Fires Doused at Greene Brothers FurnitureNORTH WILKESBORO, NC -- Firefighters fought two separate but apparently related fires at Greene Brothers Furniture Co. on two consecutive days last week.

The first fire reportedly broke out in the furniture company's boiler room on October 31 with the second occurring the following day in an adjacent silo that houses sawdust to fuel the boiler that heat the plant. Fire investigators believe embers from the boiler room fire traversed through the auger system that connects the boiler and silo.

Fire officials told FireNews.net that the second fire proved more challenging because they had to carefully remove metal of the silo to tackle the smoldering fire, while remaining concerned that the siol fire could spark an explosion.

The twin fires temporarily shut down production at the facility; no injuries were reported among the company more than 30 employees.

Greene Brothers started in 1946 and specializes in upholstered furniture.

 

 

Have something to say? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.