HACKETTSTOWN, N.J. —The National Kitchen & Bath Association (NKBA) and Monogram have announced the winners of the Charette Design Competition, which awarded students more than $30,000 in scholarships. The Charette competition recognizes students who demonstrate advanced skill in kitchen design by planning a safe, functional kitchen within a three-hour timeframe.
“There is an incredible level of talent and creativity among the students at NKBA-accredited colleges,” said Brandon Hochhalter, CKD, marketing development manager at Monogram. “Each year we recognize the outstanding designs integrating Monogram appliances in the kitchen. Monogram would like to congratulate all the finalists and wish them continued success in the future.”
Nearly 100 NKBA student members from 11 colleges participated in the challenge of creating a kitchen floor plan with specifications, a design statement, and a perspective or elevation of a kitchen featuring Monogram appliances - and had to complete it within three hours. Each participating college chose up to three local winners to receive $50 each.
All designs must adhere to the NKBA Kitchen & Bathroom Planning Guidelines and the NKBA Graphics and Presentation Standards. The winning designers successfully incorporated these elements into their designs, along with special features that impressed the judges.
- 1st place - $5,000 Scholarship - Sydney Melnyk, Lakeland College, Vermilion, Alberta
- 2nd place - $4,000 Scholarship - Sara Downing, Lakeland College, Vermilion, Alberta
- 3rd place - $3,000 Scholarship - Rebecca Chekan, Algonquin College, Ottawa, Ontario
- 4th place - $2,500 Scholarship - Kari Gasoigne, Alexandria Technical and Community College, Alexandria, MN
- 5th place - $2,000 Scholarship - Stephen Shaw, San Diego Mesa College, San Diego, CA
Honorable Mentions - $1,000 Scholarships
- Suzy Morris, Front Range Community College, Colorado Springs, CO
- Kathryn Waller, San Diego Mesa College, San Diego, CA
- Rebecca Kurczaba, Lakeland College, Vermilion, Alberta
- Leslie Jennings, Georgian College, Barrie, ON
- Leonardo Herruzo, San Diego Mesa College, San Diego, CA.
Have something to say? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.