MCGREGOR, Texas - After a family-owned cabinet shop in Central Texas was gutted by a fire September 25, the owners of the uninsured business weren't sure what to do.
 
But then, early this week, a group of volunteer homeless people arrived ready to assist wherever they could.
 
Over his 20 years in business, Porter's Wood Shop owner Jimmy Porter has hired quite a few homeless, giving them opportunities they were unlikely to find elsewhere.
 
The nearly 15 homeless volunteers wanted to return the favor.
 
“Mr. Porter has taken in some of us (homeless) and given us a second chance at jobs where no one else would hire some of us. We believe he deserves (the help),” the group's leader Chad Spears told KWTX News.
 
The group worked to remove scorched sheet metal and repair other burned areas of the shop.
 
Porter hopes to rebuild and thinks it's a real possibility. A GoFundMe account has been made.

Have something to say? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.