SHANGHAI, China — The manufacturing parent organization of Fine Furniture Design, which operates in the U.S., has completed a six-month, $4 million retooling of its Shanghai factory that will allow automated its production with CNC controlled machinery, and allow it to apply water-based finishes and produce more environmentally friendly products. The factory campus, which also manufacturers its own glues and other materials, now totals 2 million square feet.
Furniture Today reported the news that Fine Furniture (Shanghai) Limited converted its finishing line to apply water-based finishes and also has installed new CNC machinery including lathes, moulders and routers. Photos show a Biesse point to point router among the new machines. Marketing of the production of many of its carved designs showed a great deal of hand work was involved in its processes.
The new equipment will provide increased design capabilities, as well as speed, precision and manufacturing consistency, Fine Furniture (Shanghai) Limited CEO Brian Ohlrich told Furniture Today.
The equipment can “deliver the extreme precision required for a straight-planed veneered piece of furniture with complex miters, so our people can focus on providing the personal, highly skilled touch that elevates our products and makes them distinctive in the marketplace.” said Ohlrich. “It also represents a significant investment, which reflects our ongoing commitment to a continued presence in China.”
Eric Graham, president of Fine Furniture Design in the U.S., explains the strategy in a video.
The parent company also manufactures flooring. A timeline of the Fine Furniture Design's business begins in 2000, when the firm opened a 250,000 square meter production base in Shanghai, China. In that same year, in North Carolina, it established its FINE refined furniture marketing base. The company has unabashedly marketed that its products were manufactured in China from the start. It also moved into domestic sales in China as middle class buying power emerged there.
- March 2002, the first batch of furniture destined for North America.
- In January 2007, China formally login first flagship store in Shanghai opened officially open up the domestic market.
- January 2010, FINE refined furniture stationed in China, "heart", Beijing's first flagship store officially opened.
- In November 2010, it changed its name to FINE refined furniture, and launched the "AMERICAN CHERRY" series of new products.
- September 2012, FINE refined new upgraded version of home furniture independent stores, Shanghai Pudong Century Park store opening.
- April 2014, FINE Fine Furniture first American to join the private residence "Biltmore Estate", first introduced authorizing series "Biltmore Castle Legends" series.
- April 2015, FINE Fine Furniture stores covering 50 major cities nationwide, and introduced as the second star of the authorized series "Humphrey Bogart".
Have something to say? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.