Ashley Furniture sued over claims recliner caught fire

Recalled Party Time Dual Power. Reclining Loveseat

Photo By Ashley Furniture

CHICAGO — A recliner that had been recalled by the Consumer Product Safety Commission in June, was linked to a May apartment fire that caused burns to a St. Louis man who is now suing the manufacturer for $250,000 in damages.

Jeffrey Jones, 53, is suing Ashley Furniture claiming that he woke up May 13 with his apartment on fire. Jone's attorney, Bryce Hensley, told numerous news outlets that Ashley had full knowledge of the recliner's dangers, and they had not "warned or given any concern of consumer safety, despite their knowledge.”

The Woodworking Network reported that Ashley Furniture recalled some of its furniture due to a fire hazard. The recall was due to cup holders with LED lighting that could overheat. The CPSC was made aware of at least six incidents of this, but at the time it was reported that there were no known injuries.

A fire district about an hour north of Chicago pointed to a recalled power reclining couch as the cause of a house fire. Photo: Greater Round Lake Fire Protection District

A fire district about an hour north of Chicago pointed to a recalled power reclining couch as the cause of a separate house fire. According to the Greater Round Lake Fire Protection District said they found smoke coming from the roof of a house and were able to extinguish the fire in less than six minutes. The fire protection district posted a photo of a burned-out couch to its Facebook post, saying "do you have this couch, loveseat, or chair, please unplug it immediately."

Ashley Furniture announced a recall of about 263,000 furniture items, including nearly 10,000 sold in Canada, from the company's Party Time Collection of powered loveseats, sofas, and recliners due to a potential fire hazard. 

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, the company has learned of at least six incidents where the cupholder with LED lighting overheated causing fire and smoke damage, as well as damages to the product. No injuries were reported.


Have something to say? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Profile picture for user larryadams
About the author
Larry Adams | Editor

Larry Adams is a Chicago-based writer and editor who writes about how things get done. A former wire service and community newspaper reporter, Larry is an award-winning writer with more than three decades of experience. In addition to writing about woodworking, he has covered science, metrology, metalworking, industrial design, quality control, imaging, Swiss and micromanufacturing . He was previously a Tabbie Award winner for his coverage of nano-based coatings technology for the automotive industry. Larry volunteers for the historic preservation group, the Kalo Foundation/Ianelli Studios, and the science-based group, Chicago Council on Science and Technology (C2ST).