Design Tips from Cruise Ship Designers
1. Step back and really look at your space and do a deep think about how you want to move within that space.
2. Be creative with color choices (you can always change your mind and repaint).
3. Design for yourself. If you love the design, it is successful.
4. Use inexpensive LED lights to highlight art and create other "wow" effects.
5. Too much of a good thing is not a good thing. Always simplify, edit and then edit again.
Just like you, the designers of cruise ships work on a budget and within the confines of specific spaces.
If you love the comfy bed on your cruise ship you may actually be able to order a duplicate at home. Atwww.shophollandamerica.com, for instance, you can purchase Holland America Line's signature bedding collection. You can order the Carnival Comfort Collection online as well (www.carnivalcomfortcollection.com). The new signature Princess Luxury Bed (www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/princess-luxury-bed/) created in collaboration with Dr. Michael Breus, "The Sleep Doctor," and highly acclaimed designer, Candice Olson, star of the hit HGTV shows "Candice Tells All" and "Divine Design," will soon be available online at retail prices.
Have something to say? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.