LANGHORNE, PA - Hidden kitchen appliances will be a major design trend for 2013, says online retailer HomeThangs.com. More unusual appliances that blend in with the rest of the kitchen – specifically ones fronted with the same wood or lacquered material as the cabinets.
The trend goes a step beyond the cabinet material camouflage and means an increased emphasis on small or odd shaped appliances, like under-counter or mini refrigerators, and other compact appliances. The goal is to provide more counter space and keep the kitchen at a seamless waist-high level -perfect for installing into a kitchen island.
Kitchen design continues to trend toward more modern styles and away from traditional, says HomeThangs.com.
During 2012, traditional kitchen design was dethroned by the more-modern transitional style in the National Kitchen And Bath Association rankings, the first time ever in the history of the rating system, the retailer notes.
"There’s been a gradual but major upheaval in kitchen design in the last few years, and a major change in the way that designers look at the kitchen space," according to HomeThangs.com
Among other trends:
• All over lighting, a result of the popularity of LED lighting systems
• An increasing role for kitchen islands
• Glass back splashes. High gloss abounds everywhere, from cabinets to appliances, but nowhere is this more striking than in the rise of single-sheet, back-painted glass backsplashes
• Natural color schemes, including grays and greens, with bold accents and a variety of wood tones
• Eco-friendly materials, including bamboo floors and formaldehyde free MDF cabinets.
Have something to say? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.