Designed as a TEDx-style program for the wood manufacturing industry, the Woodworking Network Leadership Forum will take place July 18, the day prior to AWFS Fair 2017, at the Las Vegas Convention Center.
A top-level conference aimed at executives from North America’s 300 largest woodworking companies, the
|JULY 18, day before AWFS Fair 2017. Register here>>|
Leadership Forum will examine business, technology and material trends that will impact the design and production of cabinetry, furniture and interior millwork over the next decade.
A series of briefings will detail joint technology developments between suppliers and manufacturers in creating new materials and equipment. The event is followed by the Leadership Reception, at which the 2017 Wood Industry 40 Under 40 Awards will be presented.
Manufacturing FutureHAUS – Joe Wheeler, Professor of Architecture + Design at Virginia Tech University. FutureHAUS is the revolutionary prototype for the home of the future, with designs that lend themselves to modular furniture manufacture. Prototypes for the kitchen, bath, living room, bedrooms and home offices have been developed. 25 industry partners provided design expertise.
Love Thy Data – Mick Peters, Applied Automation Technologies. By mining manufacturing data, companies gain insight into production issues and opportunities for business and sales growth. Expert Mick Peters, a contributor at WoodworkingNetwork.com talks about mining factory data.
Joint Development Case Studies
Briefings will examine technology partnerships between suppliers and wood products manufacturers:
- Decore-ative Specialties VP Todd Shapiro and Bacci America’s Joe Barry recount the two-year joint development of custom CNC cabinet door sanding system, versions of which are now available on the market.
- Timberline Cabinetry & Millwork’s Kent Swinson and software expert Roger Shaw recount tailoring Production Coach enterprise software following a plant audit.
- North American Plywood GM Donald Kuser details joint-development with Fuji Inca Onset high-speed digital staining, that turns 5x10’ plywood sheets to a high-def oak veneer look in 90 seconds.
- RCS Millwork’s Dan Keller and Innergy’s Marc Sanderson will talk about the development of a plant-wide management system to integrate machinery and processes.
Panels on management and materials
- Wood Products Marketing Managers Job description – What does a marketing manager do, and how does it differ from advertising and sales? Our panel will spell out the differences, and identify some best practices.
- 40 Under 40s Take Charge – This prequel to the evening Wood Industry 40 Under 40 Awards program will poll the industry’s rising talent.
- Materials: Moderated by Bill Esler – this segment will survey unique materials like advanced 3D veneer, sublimation wood decoration, and “sewn” furniture frames, plus guest presentations on:
- Developing Dimensional Bamboo Lumber – Smith & Fong co-founder Dan Smith will cover his lumber dealership’s development of this and other non-tree wood products.
- Cross Laminated Timber & Wood High-rise Buildings – Oregon State University launched the Tallwood Design Institute, integrating its architecture, engineering and forest products education department.
Learn more at woodworkingnetwork.com/awfsleadership
Have something to say? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.