Houzz Study: Homeowners Demand Open Space Kitchens, Storage
Posted by Michaelle Bradford | Posted: 10/15/2013 2:56PM
PALO ALTO, CA –
PALO ALTO, CA –Home owner demand for more flexible storage options and blended rooms remain a consistent and popular trend as well as soft and neutral color schemes, according to a brand new study from Houzz.
Contributing factors include smaller footprint homes and an aging population, which makes flexibility and accessibility a key design request. Also, interior designers are looking at creating multi-functional areas, for instance combining kitchen space with expanded pantry storage, a recycling center or by integrating it with the living room.
In the Fall Houzz Kitchen Remodeling Study, nearly 77% of respondents say they plan to open their kitchens into other rooms and 61% plan to incorporate a kitchen island, increasing storage options.
Additional study findings include:
- Younger homeowners favor contemporary kitchen designs
- Ninety-four percent plan to change their countertops and granite and quartz are top requests
- "Soft and neutral" color schemes are most popular
- Hardwood (35%) and tile (32%) are top choices for flooring
- Approximately 50% prefer a tile backsplash
- Nearly half of respondents cite eco-friendly materials as important
Houzz, an online web site and mobile app for design and remodeling, surveyed more than 7,500 users -- 68% of respondents have not yet started their kitchen remodeling plans while 32% have already begun construction.
About the Author
Michaelle BradfordMichaelle Bradford is Managing Editor of Closets magazine, Custom Woodworking Business magazine, Wood Products magazine and Custom Built Interiors Weekly eNewsletter. She can be reached at email@example.com or Google+.