The antique wood singer sewing machine project I've been working on has had many challenges dealing with minor defects found in the case, with much of that damage caused by water. So, I've spent a good deal of my time handling that and re-gluing veneer that lost its grip around the edges of the machine cabinet.
The two cases that make up the sides of the cabinet are still a concern to me and will continue to be so until I see how the wipe stain applies to these areas. The outside ends of these cases have beautiful appliqués on them.
I fear sanding up against those appliqués. As you know, the sand paper loses its bite as it comes up against something like that and the wood is very difficult to scratch. The results become quite clear when the wipe stain is applied. A halo appears that is the result of uneven sanding. I used maroon Scotch-Brite to sand those areas. My hope is that the Scotch-Brite will get in the cracks where I want it to go. Stay tuned. These areas may be a classic opportunity to use a glaze to blend out those halos. Glazing the case may be necessary anyway to give it more of the original antique look.
Now to the six drawer boxes. They too have a beautiful appliqué around the drawer pull. First, an appliqué was glued to the drawer front. Then, a rosette-style cutter was used to create a doughnut-shaped recess in the drawer front with a center uprising onto which a small white oak pull was glued. Again, the problem was getting all of that detail sanded well. The soreness in my left thumb and right index finger tip attest to my efforts. Finger sanding wears out your digits!
I wish that I had a good photo of the drawer fronts to show you. For now, take a look at the one picture of the full case and I think that you will see what I mean. It’s a neat bit of woodworking! I’ll take more pictures when I reassemble the case.
My buddy Dave has the project from this point on. He will apply the stain and lacquer. As is my custom, this will include M.L. Campbell’s DuraVar. I expect to see the work come out of his shop in a week or so. Then it will be my job to reassemble everything and take some good photos of the finished product to share with you.
Until next time…spray on!