Reclaimed Wood Scores LEED Points for 49ers Levis Stadium
By Bill Esler | Posted: 07/17/2014 9:42AM
click image to zoomLevis Stadium clubroom. Reclaimed wood scored points for the San Francisco 49ers Levi’s Stadium. The 67,000 seat football stadium, dedicated July 17, hosts its first professional game - soccer - August 2.
Levi Stadium is also the first LEED Gold Certified football stadium. Having earned 44 points (39 are required for Gold) with things like a green roof, bike paths and recycling its water, the stadium also relied on wood to carry its LEED game.
Among the items: 100% of the lumber used in the Citrix Owners Suites is reclaimed from a local airplane hangar. Turner-Devcon, the designer-builder, contracted with custom furniture builder Creative Wood in San Leandro, CA and seating firm Bay Concepts in Oakland, CA for aspects of the project, while hiring Hayward, CA-based All-Modular Systems to install the furniture.
49ers.com bloggist Andrew Pentis reports the loads of wood he saw ferried in during construction. He says Jack Hill, the football team’s project executive, and Tambra Thorson, an interior designer for stadium architect HNTB and a LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) specialist, said choices were often made for aesthetics, so each area and club level would have its own personality.
• Walnut wood is used in the players' locker room
• Tulip wood lines the Legacy Club ceilings.
• Bamboo is the primary wood in the Violin Memory Suite Tower’s suites, conference rooms and lounges. It was supplied by San Francisco's Smith & Fong.
• Walnut, is used in much of the club furniture, including communal tables and barstools, which were made locally, including the players’ 10-foot lockers.
• Redwood, reclaimed from Moffet Federal Airfield’s hangar in Mountain View, is featured in the 500 level Citrix Owners Club and suites.
• Oak, reclaimed for flooring, is installed in the 300 level Champions Club and the 400 level Yahoo-sponsored clubs. There is also be oak paneling in the loft club.
click image to zoomLevis Stadium seats 67,000. Levi’s Stadium holds more than 56,000 seats in general sections (including about 45,000 in the lower bowl), over 9,000 on the club level and 2,000 in the suites.
About the Author
Bill EslerBill Esler, Associate Publisher/ Editor in Chief, Woodworking Network Bill is responsible for editing Custom Woodworking Business and coordinating content for Wood Products , CLOSETS , WoodworkingNetwork.com, and related newsletters. Bill’s expertise includes using innovative print manufacturing techniques to grow audience engagement, digital printing, purls, QR codes; and lead-generating webcasts, custom websites, and custom digital and print content. Read Bill Esler's woodworking blogs. He can be reached at email@example.com or follow him on Google+.